Monday, July 11, 2011

In preparation of Ramadan


Back in the days I remember all the fuss and fun about Ramadan. Picturing the samosas with ketchup and yummy food on the table all day long. How I miss the warmth of the extended family and relatives coming in, sharing food, talking, praying together and reading Quran. The invitations for iftars and ramadan shopping, house cleaning and preparation for worship. The hustle and bustle in the Masjids and Bazars. The patient seeking of reward. The yearning to please the lord of the worlds!

During Ramadan there is a special feeling that we sense. Everyone talks about the giving and the sharing and the extra prayers and the recitation of the Quran. But what I am talking about is that sense deep within your soul. Ramadan gives you a chance to connect with yourself; to test your limits and to be patient. Self control and worship takes an upper hand during this month. Our physical needs and materialistic motives are put to rest. Our true purpose of life is what we want to fulfill so every extra time that we have, we spend in prayer and worship.

This is the first time that we will be spending Ramadan just as a family of four. I miss having family with me. I miss the food, conversation and Ibada. I want to make this one of the best Ramadans I have had. I want to live through it with smiles and constant remembrance of the creator and our true purpose here. Insha Allah

In order to make the most of these 30 days lets try to finish our preramadan shopping as early as possible. Lets try not to watse too much time preparing foods. Frozen foods and plenty of snacks should be convenient and time saving. Lets switch off the TV, close out the silly novels and magazines and open up the books of true knowledge. Lets fill our ears with the Quran and Tafsir... Lets keep our tongues busy with the zikr. Lets teach our children the beauty and practicality of Islam and lets change our hearts to be better people!

Oh Allah answer my prayers during this month
Oh my lord make it easy for me to give
Lengthen my life and bless it
Protect and guide me, my family, my children and my friends
Make our deaths easier on us and Give us the light in our graves
Helps us to worship you in the best possible manner
Bless us with Jannathul Firdouse


Ameen